Monday, October 23, 2006

59. High School Confidential: Secrets of an Undercover Student


So I'm very into reading about Generation Y these days... I read the one about High students trying to get into college recently and even did a paper for my HR Management class on Generation Y in the workforce. Anyway... High School Confidentail was a pretty good read. I'm sure some of the behaviors in the book are shocking to many, but from what I've read and heard in recent years I wasn't that surprised by the student's behaviors. The teachers and administrators on the otherhand, I couldn't believe I the experiences the author had. Seriously... I really hope his academic experience is not typical of most public high schools, otherwise we're really in trouble.

Here's the description from B&N:

This outrageously entertaining exposé chronicles the true adventures of Jeremy Iversen, a 24-year-old investment banker who passed himself off as a second-semester senior transfer student at Mirador High in southern California. Inspired by every John Hughes movie he had ever seen, Iversen set out in search of the suburban school experience his privileged Exeter education had denied him. But what he found at Mirador was less Pretty in Pink than Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Immersed in a confusing culture of sexual permissiveness, religious fundamentalism, rampant recreational drug use, and academic apathy, the author bluffed his way from cliques and classes to parties and pep rallies all the way to graduation -- his real identity known only to school administrators. We give High School Confidential a resounding A+ for its irresistible smarty-pants tone and its surprising revelations about students and teachers alike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter html code